- TECHNOLOGICAL REACH Smart pole technology is one of industry’s fastest growing trends of the year. The notion of a smart street lighting pole is no longer limited to just LED lights but instead consists of a wide variety of technological capabilities that allows room for innovative and integrated creative lighting uses. Councils now have the option to install smart lighting poles that have the potential to host environmental data sensors that track traffic and weather patterns, Wi-Fi access points, emergency call buttons etc.
- HEALTHY WHITE LIGHT The concept of human centric lighting (HCL); artificial lighting that is not too faint, not too bright, but just right to light up a public space while minimising light pollution in the area.
- WASTE REDUCTION Utilising available sustainable options, by implementing energy saving LED alternatives, can not only have a large long-term impact on energy consumption and waste in the region but also have a positive influence on reducing artificial light pollution. The installation of LED street lights places cities in the realm of accountability and pushes existing systems towards sustainable change.
- MONETARY IMPACT Smart public lighting is a query on everyone’s mind, how and where will your council get the backing for a LED smart lighting project. Is all the fuss worth it? Although the project cost may seem high and overwhelming beforehand, retrofitting projects have proven to have a positive impact from both a monetary and heath perspective. The benefits tend to outweigh the initial costs.
- REAL-WORLD SAFETY In the past, councils across the globe have taken the approach of switching off their street and public lighting at night in a bid to lower energy consumption and save money; whatever positive monetary impact this had, it was soon met with negative community feedback. However, the option to now have remote controlled or self-dimming lights provides a sustainable option that satisfies both council members and their constituents. Smart street lighting comes with the choice of not only adjusting the severity of the LEDs brightness but also the colour out-put.
- INTUITIVE LIGHTING As regulations change it is only assumed that councils will continue making the shift towards smarter lighting solutions. With the increase of available technology, the next natural step is to employ smart city solutions; integrated lighting in parking structures to indicate whether a parking spot is free, data collection sensors that collate information regarding foot and vehicle traffic.
Breakfast Networking Sponsor
Cocktail Function Sponsor
11-12 September 2018
Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre
Melbourne, VIC, Australia